Friday, April 28, 2006

My Take On The Da Vinci Code

I have read The Da Vinci Code... twice. Both times I truly enjoyed it and will read it again someday. I believe there are 3 main facets of this book...

1. The writing style. I love the way Dan Brown writes. He doesn't try to cram a ton of information in at one time. He spreads out explanations in little chunks throughout the entire book (as he does with his other books). So, unlike authors such as James Patterson, you don't go into info-overload. He isn't overly descriptive either.. A pet peeve of mine... IE: "her long chestnut hair was flowing in the balmy spring breeze like the poppies in a field..." *gag*

2. The mystery & clues. I absolutely LOVE mysteries! But the way Dan delivers it... the clues aren't all in the book... you have to "go outside" of the story. That is so intriguing to me. And, because of his writing style, the internal clues are not diluted. You actually have a chance at following them.

3. The most controversial... The storyline. The Great Debate. The way I see it... most people either hate or love the book because of the ideas put forth. I think people need to realize... it's a story. A work of fiction that uses bits and pieces of facts to make it work. Whether or not you believe in the possibilities that Jesus & Mary were married, it's still just a story.

I am not a religious person, but I am spiritual. Do I believe there was a Jesus Christ that walked the earth and was crucified? Absolutely. Do I believe he was the son of God? No. Do I believe he was married to Mary and that they conceived a child? I think it's not an unreasonable suggestion. Do I believe there is a great network of men and women that protect the secret of the bloodline of Jesus... Not really.

All in all, it just boils down to this... It was an amazingly well written and entertaining story and I can't wait to see the movie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

not a very successful secret order, it would seem!
holy blood, holy grail is a good 'non-fiction' take on the same topic

utenzi said...

If you believe in Jesus Christ than you do think he's the son of God. Christ is a description, not a name.

Steve Kenul said...

Hey Luna, its bball, just stopping by while surfing. How can I get my thumb on your site? Anyway, have a great day and see you in SB soon!

Anonymous said...

I so totally agree with you, surprisingly I'm sure. I am a Christian, believe Jesus is the son of God, and I still think this was a great story! I just had a debate with a Christian coworker the other day about this book. I read it like I watched National Treasure. Do I think that there's a treasure trove under Wall Street? No. Do I think that Jesus was married and had a daughter? No. But they were both very interesting mysteries and great stories!