Sunday, May 21, 2006

Prejudice and Racism

by Gabriel Thrace



Why are we still hearing about prejudice and racist people in America? Shouldn’t things be getting better by now? Why am I still hearing my children call a black person the “n” word or a person from South America a wetback. How about someone from India and Asia? Yeah I have heard it all. Is it fear from the unknown culture? Are these people not people? Why do they have to be labeled as anything at all? We are all people folks no matter the color!

Recently I encountered a racist person who didn't like the idea of me having black people in my house (not that it is anyone’s business who is in my house). Why can’t I enjoy fellowship with people of color in peace? I tell you what the person told me. “Your grandmother would disown you for having black people in your house!” Well… She may but I would stand for what I believe in. People are people after all and you don’t have to come to my house.

I am glad that my children are learning that we all are people and shouldn’t be labeled at all. Yes I live in the south and I know that many older adults were brought up to hate and be racist and prejudice but its time for us to change that. Our generation should make sure it stops or at least try.

I am white but mixed with Cherokee and Irish. Didn’t our founding fathers have hatred for Indians? Didn’t people talk about the Irish and shun them when they come to America? So why did that all change? How did that prejudice and racism change? We need to teach tolerance people or our children will grow up angry at a race they know nothing about. I encourage you to start something like a day out of a month to sit your kids down and have a talk with them about tolerance. Maybe you could put a festival together in your community that encourages heritage day. For instance like having booths set up to teach people about each country and heritage.

Make that change!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture :)

Thank you for putting my thumbnail on your blog. Sorry for cutting out on you but my browser sort of went funny :(

Paula

Lana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

dang ... i still hear that garbage sometimes, too, and it drives me crazy. good for you for sticking up for having whoever in your house.